Wednesday, July 09, 2008

6 degrees of separation...

it is so crazy the amount of people this donation has reached. i was shopping in sephora (and spent wayyyy too much money!!) and was debating whether or not it was okay for me to spend so much money because i wouldn't even be using half of the stuff i was buying in the next couple weeks because i was having surgery. the consultant who was helping me overheard this and said, "oh my goodness honey! i'm so sorry to hear!!" i did not want to mislead her into thinking i was sick, so i simply stated quietly, "oh no, i'm fine and healthy, i am just donating my kidney next week." no sooner than the words were out of my mouth, she teared up. "i am so touched by that!" was all she could mutter. we chatted for a little longer and then i went on my way to find a fun lip plumper.

i paid and was ready to leave the store when i saw her near the door. i wanted to say thank you, so i walked her way and told her i appreciated all her help today. she said you're welcome and then wished me luck on my donation. she went on to say that the reason she was so touched by my random donation was because her cousin had waited 6 years to receive a transplant. unfortunately, he lost his battle a little over 2 years ago while waiting for a transplant. she said her and her family were waiting for someone like me to come along, but sadly, that did not happen. she asked God to bless me and she gave me a hug.

it is truly amazing to see how many people this donation can reach-- in the most random ways.


**and thank you steve for providing me with the title i was looking for. and yes ladies, he is single. feel free to contact me for his number :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a mother to 2 boys with ARPKD (autosomal recessive polycystic disease). You are truly an inspiration and I wish there were more people like you in the world. I hope everything goes well with the transplant. Thank you for being such a giving person.

Take care,
Michele
mom to Max, 8, ARPKD; Nate, 5, clear; Gabe, 2, ARPKD
(m3karl@optonline.net)

Anonymous said...

I am the mother to two kids with ARPKD as well, and I want to thank you. As parents we are unable to donate a kidney to our children (our son was on dialysis and got a kidney last year from our babysitters mom!) and so we wait for people to step up to offer to keep them off the list.

As a mom to kids that need a kidney, I thank you. You truly have no idea of the impact you will make on your recipient's life. Sure saving it is obvious - but there are little things everyday that he will be able to do and enjoy now - because of renewed energy, less restrictions, travel - you name it!

Good luck and wishes for a speedy recovery.

Julia
mom to Gage, 9 arpkd - post tx, and Quinn, 6 arpkd, pre tx

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa!
Wow! You are truly an inspiration!!! I hope that your incredible kindness and generosity come back to you tenfold.
Reading your blog is heartwarming and it is so evident what a kind soul you have. I pray for you and for the gentleman receiving your wonderful gift that you both will have an easy time getting through the surgery, and very speedy recoveries.
Thank you for sharing your story!

Best Wishes,
Marlene

Unknown said...

Hi Melissa,
It's heroes like you that make my team of volunteers at MatchingDonors.com come to work early every day and leave late, without pay, saying this is the best job God ever made.
You are a living guardian angel.
Thanks,
Paul Dooley
CEO - MatchingDonors.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa -

I donated my kidney to a boy with PKD last year. All the things you've blogged about - from your hesitation to tell people about your donation to the incredible reactions you receive from strangers - are the same things that I've experienced.

My kidney donation has been a wonderful journey - and it continues today 16 months post surgery!

All the best to you.
Jody
kidney donor to Gage, 9

Siena Communications said...

Melissa,
Just wanted to let you know Siena is helping to spread the word about kidney donation for you. I did a short write up on our news blog (and the story will be scrolling on the siena.edu homepage ticker by the end of the day).
You are a true inspiration! Good luck on Tuesday, you will be in our prayers.

Allison Maloney '06
Asst. Director of Communications
Siena College