Monday, July 28, 2008

: )

ugh, he was even better looking today.

and he said everything looks great and he can't believe i am so mobile and spirited a mere 2 weeks from the date of the surgery. he was a little concerned that i hadn't gotten my appetite back yet (down 17 lbs now) but he said it should return shortly. it's not that i don't have an appetite, it's just that i get full so fast (i.e. one single serving cup of yogurt was my lunch, it fills me up. for dinner last night i had 4 saltines with tuna on them. for breakfast i had a peach and some water.) like i said before, i'm not complaining... but it is hard, for example, i went to dinner with a friend thursday night and i had two bites of my grilled chicken and a piece of broccoli and that's all i could have before getting full. oh well. soon enough i will be back 100%

since i was in the city, i decided not to waste the trip, so i did a little bit of shopping (i got a really cute faux croc print clutch-- for all the fundraising dinners i go to, a cute necklace, and some new makeup) and then i met a friend from college for sushi dinner (6 pieces was about all i could take!) but it was delicious none-the-less.

anyway, the good news is that the surgeon said i could resume bike riding, running, walking, aerobics, etc right away. and maybe with all that extra exertion, i'll build up my appetite. ((hopefully!!)) he told me, of course, that i shouldn't do 5 miles tonight, but that i could build myself back up. so-- to the track tomorrow!!

anyway, thanks for keeping up to date with me. i'll be going back to the rogosin institute every 3 months to track my kidney functions so they have a better understanding of how those who have donated their organs are doing. however, i do have to admit that if they cannot schedule me around my work hours, i will most likely be skipping those appointments since: A. i have already used up all my sick/vacation/personal days and have none left and B. i have spent about $300-$350 in travel and various other expenses related to this kidney donation. so, i do not plan on putting myself out there anymore :(
**not to mention the amount of money my parents spent on this donation: i'm guesstimating around $500**

but, with that said i'm glad this process is over and i was successful in saving a life (although i haven't spoken much with my recipient). i hope my story has inspired you to at least be nice to others and consider the struggles they are facing. there is a saying that goes:

"be kind, for everyone you know is fighting a hard battle"
how appropriate : )

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

And Remember You Really Donated Two Kidneys! One to Your Recipient and One to the Person Who Got the Kidney that would have been HIS!! Thank YOU!!

Anonymous said...

you rule. keep pluggin away!

Unknown said...

You're the best!!! Mwah!! Smitten girl!! HA HA. And for the record, he's NOT too old!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Melissa
Your story has inspired me tremendously. I am honored to be counted among your friends. This was a beautiful tribute to your halomeny(did I spell that right)
Rememeber- you are a beautiful young woman inside and out:)
Love always
Big Al

Anonymous said...

mixedchick:

i didnt mean to delete your comments, but they said the same thing 4 times. hope you dont mind!! :)

melissa

Anonymous said...

This blog has been so wonderful and inspiring to read. I hope that your experience encourages others to be donors as well.

Anonymous said...

Melissa, I noted you said you used Mederma every now and then. I work with the product and you should make sure to use it 3-4 times per day everyday for best results. Good look with your progress.