Thursday, December 11, 2008

let's play catch up...

i randomly decided to log-on to here after many weeks of not writing. i guess i never thought about the "after" of this whole donation process. i quickly scrolled down to the bottom of my blog to check the counter and was surprised to see it had nearly doubled since i last remarked about the count being so high. 8,500! wow. (i am sure over 100 of those hits are from my own computer, but nonetheless, im overwhelmed).

well, my life has pretty much gone back to 100% normal. i am doing everything i did before the donation (besides donating blood, which i always did on a regular basis. well, that and i no longer use advil. ive switched to tylenol).

my recipient recently e-mailed me to tell me that he had just gotten back from a christmas gift vacation in st. maarten (me=jeallllloussss!!). his wonderful sister had surprised him and his gf with a week long trip. he had attached photos... and he looks great! healthy, able to enjoy some beers and in great spirits!

although kris and i aren't particularly close, i am glad i was able to give him the opportunity to regain his life back. from what he has told me, him and his gf, sezin, are planning on tying the knot soon. it amazes me to think that just a few short months ago common milestones in life as such weren't even an option. we all take our lives, and even special moments like weddings and marriages, even relationships we build with others, for granted so often. during this holiday season, i know i will be extra grateful for the life i live and the opportunities i have been given.

although i truly believe that we create our own fate, there is some magic in life that can never be explained. like when you fall in love, or see snow for the first time that season or when you laugh so hard you cry. i dont know if i would say it was fate that i decided to donate my kidney just as kris' were failing, or call it "meant to be" that i found him on matching donors. i just think our lives were meant to mean something and in this particular instance, my meaning in life was to donate my kidney. and kris' life wasn't meant to end when his kidneys started failing.

i apologize for getting all heartfelt :)

however, i do want to take this opportunity to wish everyone happy holidays. i hope you take the time to sincerely appreciate your family, friends and good fortune in life. although every aspect of your life may not be perfect (i know mine certainly is not, and the economy is not helping!!! eek! haha), there must be places where we can consider ourselves grateful. i know i have a loving, caring and supportive family. i have friends that care for me and look out for me. i have people who pray for me daily. i am in great health. i can make myself laugh. i have a job. i have a home. i can afford food, clothing and shelter. and i can pass along my warm, caring, festive energy onto others.

i plan on volunteering some time at the local food pantry to help those in need this winter, and you should consider doing the same. and if you cannot find time to do so, make a contribution in the form of donating food, clothing or money if possible. go to a local church or community center. i am sure they have a giving tree where you can pick a card off a tree and buy a gift for a family in need. although you may feel like (and very well may be) suffering somewhat, it is more than likely someone out there is having a harder time. so next time you're at the store and see the volunteer ringing the bell for the salvation army, drop in a dollar or two. or if you're in line at the grocery store and they ask you to donate a dollar to st. jude, say yes. don't push and shove to get in front of one person while doing your gift shopping. don't cut people off on the parkway to get home faster. and thank god every night for the wonderful life you have.

appreciate all you have. you never know when it could all be taken from you. and what a better time to be thankful for what we have than right now. the present time is the best time to make a change.

happy holidays,
melissa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa -
Glad to hear you are doing well. I hope you have a blessed holiday.
Take care,
Jody
Gage's kidney donor
Atlanta, GA

Melissa said...

aw thanks jogy!!! i hope you have a wonderful holiday too! have you gotten in contact with gage?? how is he doing?

Melissa said...

oops sorry!! jody!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Melissa! May you have a blessed holiday and feel a warm sense of peace and joy for the unbelieveable gift you have given! I believe only God could have orchestrated such a miracle in Kris's life. Many prayers were finally realized and YOU were the answer to them! May your awesome generosity never be forgotten and your days be forever merry and bright...not only during the Christmas season, but every day for the rest of your life! Thank you for the best early Christmas gift we could ever imagine! Love, Amy

Unknown said...

Melissa--
I just read your story in the Siena Alumni mag---you make me proud to be a Siena alumna! What a tremendous act of compassion and you are a remarkable inspiration. I will be keeping you and Kris in my thoughts and prayers.
Nancy Ciavarri
Rochester, NY

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa -
Just checking in with you. And I just saw your response back to me in December....sorry. All is well with me; Gage and I celebrate two years since donation tomorrow. It's hard to believe! Gage is doing well kidney-wise; he has other medical issues unfortunately. But my kidney is behaving; I pray that will continue.
Your blog fans would love an update!
Take care,
Jody