Sunday, July 06, 2008

some breathing room

wow, so all this news came really fast. before i knew it, i was scheduled for surgery for july 15th, requested days off from work and made arrangements with my parents for them to come to NYC to be with me for the procedure. its really been a whirlwind-- but i do not regret it at all. it just happened very fast. i was mentally prepared to do the surgery in august... but hey, i have no problem whatsoever doing it earlier. my life isn't at stake here-- his is. and i am glad i can help.

i've been babysitting all weekend for a 2.5 month old, a 6 month old, a 2.5 year old and a 3 year old-- if i can handle that kind of mayhem (and trust me, at times it got a little crazy!!), i think this surgery will be a piece of cake. i've just got to get things ready for when my parents come and pack for the hospital, then i think ill be all ready to go. i also want to call my recipient sometime this week to see how he is holding up... last we spoke, things were looking okay, but not great. this surgery is coming just in the nick of time. 

i'm also very happy and excited to see the number of viewers for my blog has pretty much doubled. i assume it is mostly due to my new facebook group titled, melissa's kidney donation. i've received a lot of support from my readers there as well --  even from total strangers... which is very nice.

also... the best news in the whole world... my best friend from college is coming to stay with me while i'm in the hospital and then after at my apartment to help take care of me and keep me company. i am so glad she's coming... we can talk for hours and hang out and i love her to death. she was my saving grace while in college, always there to talk and hang out... and now she'll be my saving grace for when i go through this. she's got a great head on her shoulders, and although i don't really ever male "bad" decisions, she is always there to lend a listening ear or guided advice. plus, it will be nice to give my parents a break every once in a while to get coffee or something... and i know my mom will rest easily knowing that i am with a very trusted friend. 

lastly, as promised, i will be posting pictures from the hospital as i plan to bring my laptop with me. i can't guarantee i'll be most attractive looking-- but hopefully for those of you who have followed my story thus far, it will be some insight into this whole donation thing :) if i can, i will also post the hospital and room number i will be in for anyone in the area who would like to come visit (just call my cell before you come!!) i will be in the hospital for a total of 3 days: tuesday july 15th, wednesday the 16th and thursday the 17th.  

anyway, i have to go to the hospital for one last blood comparison and then the next big thing is the surgery. if anything comes up in the meantime... you'll be the first to know :)

thank you, for listening to my story :)

No comments: